All of kids stopped in our tracks, and looking westward we all saw this fighter jet just above the tree tops of Seacrest Village, the apartment complexes where most of the kids at my school lived. I remember it was moving really slow, flying level for a little bit near the villages water tower. Then you heard the jet throttle up boosting it's engines a second later a small explosion came from somewhere near the back of the jet and . then I saw the jet start upward like it was going to do a loop to loop and a split second after that another smaller explosion.
This was when the capsule was nose up into the loop and you saw the capsule that the pilot and navigator were in, go flying up and away from the jet. The fighter jet now without a pilot finished the loop, by nose diving straight into the ground. At least from my vantage point. It looked like it nosed dived, but apparently now many years later when looking at the crash photos it must have completed the loop and did a belly smacker into the apartment complexes.
As we got close to the crash site, I remember the burning smell and started to see scorched trees and burnt ground. I started to see small pieces of plane debris laying all over the place and proceeded to pick some up as I went. I believe it was about a ten inch long piece of fuel line and a small 6 inch piece of the skin of the plane. As I got closer I remember seeing the Apartment buildings on fire and a big chunk of one of the buildings was missing and was on fire, from where the jet had slammed into it and part of the other building next to it was on fire as well and some of the area and trees around the crash site. I was probably a hundred feet away at this point.
I remember seeing some military trucks and personal getting out of the trucks and hearing popping sounds. It was at this point that I decided that I should leave, since somehow I knew having a couple of parts to the plane in my hands was not good. I ran home as fast as I could, which was only a block or so away Where I told my Mom what had happened.
I got to say that this was a very memorable moment in my life and I have told this story so many times through out the years it seem like yesterday as I sit here typing it out. I was quite surprised to find a web site yesterday that claimed to have rare photos of the crash at seacrest village. I have always thought people thought I was just making this story up so its very cool to see the articles and the photographs of the crash online.
If you want to read the article on it and see the rare pictures of the crash go to the link I have provided at the bottom of this post. I would post the pictures here but the photographer apparently has them copyrighted.
http://www.seacoastnh.com/History/History_Matters/The_Day_the_FB111A_Crashed/


No comments:
Post a Comment